[Squeakland] Re: 3 questions : trailStyle, falling balls pictures, forums ?

francois schnell francois.schnell at free.fr
Mon Jan 26 23:36:13 PST 2004

Bonjour,

* Thank you for the full set of pictures !

* Concerning good programming community sites I used mainly 2 sites for
VB and Flash programming  in French ... ;-) (http://www.flashxpress.net/
and http://www.codes-sources.com/). They are not very good sites but
they have very active ... Forums ...

They were priceless to me when I decided 2 years ago to learn (Flash /
Action Script) .I wanted to design and program scientific simulations
for kids which are running in the Planetarium I worked for.
I would say I learned Flash : 20 % books, 80 % forums.
Each time I was really stuck I  searched in the Forums and very often
somone else had the same question.
There are many advantages to have a forum :
- Different themes (maybe newbies to squeak, teachers projects, E-tyos
programming, Squeak programming,...)
- It's good for newbies who often hesitate to ask "stupid" questions in
a mailing list.
- You've got a good visisibility of  "hot subjects" or somone lost
without  an answer.
- etc.

I like to imagine a "big impact community site"as an emergent system
like an anthill  for example.
A anthill  is very organised and efficient  (nursery, cimetery, etc.)
but there are no individual architect or lead programmer.
It organise and strenghten  itselft thanks to the quality of the
"communication" beetwen ants (the pheromons) and if the critical mass is
reached (I believe a few thousands for an Anthill).

Even if I'm still quite a newbie to Squeak (not for long hopefully), the
more I look at it and the more I see an *Astronomical* multiple
potential in it.

I think Alan Kay and all the fellows squeak and squeakland teams have
done a tremendous job.
There are exotic fruits and  succelent juicy food there I never saw
eleswhere, nevertheless  to reach "the critical mass" we need  the best
pheromones and I think a real  Forum is a part of it.

PS :  I actually never installed a forum . Maybe something like phpBB
could be good (and you can skin it with the Squeak feel and look).  I'm
ready to investigate ...

PS :  If Forum there is, I solely here promess to help squeakers  on
it.  :-)

François  Schnell
Strasbourg
France