[Squeakland] help optimizing project, please

John Voiklis voiklis at redfigure.org
Thu Jun 10 15:43:14 PDT 2004

Hello All,

As some of you know, I am doing both Squeak- and Non-Squeak-related
research at Teachers College. One such non-Squeak project relates to
Richard Mayer's work on multimedia, interactivity, and learning.  Without
going too much into the details, Mayers experiments included simulations
and/or animations of drum brakes, air pumps, et al. For our experiments at
TC, I have built a "how drum brakes work" etoy (first URL below), a highly
idealized simulation based closely on the simulation used by Mayer.  The
problem is that it moves slower than mollasses.  I don't understand why,
given that there are fewer concurrently running scripts than the version
of the etoy (second link below) that I used for last semester's
experiment.  Can anyone help?

Thank you,

John

Current Version:

http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://www.columbia.edu/~jv37/projects/brakesSim.037.pr
(Ignore the instructions in the text box; they have not been rewritten for
this new version.  Instead, when testing, use the hints provided by the
balloons)

Old Version:

http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://www.columbia.edu/~jv37/projects/brakes51.059.pr
(The instructions do apply here)