[Squeakland] drive-a-car newbie questions

Ken Kahn kenkahn at toontalk.com
Mon Mar 1 09:52:47 PST 2004

Hi all -

Thanks for remembering Director. For those interested in the history of
these ideas read

Ken Kahn and Carl Hewitt. Dynamic graphics using quasi-parallelism. In
Proceedings of the ACM/SIGGRAPH Conference, August 1978.

My focus back then was expressing animation at a high level (and the
other part of the thesis was an AI system that generated animation).
Graphical interactivity wasn't really feasible (on a time-shared PDP10).
So simulation time was identical to replay time (much like how Pixar
makes animations). Typically replay was accomplished by capturing each
frame on film (though I also made flip books).

In ToonTalk there is special support for speed so that simulation time
is identical to real time but in general you do a trick like Andreas
mentioned -- "foo forward by (timer's elapsedTime * foo's speed)".

ToonTalk has a different, but also somewhat kludgey, way to have many
cycles per tick. If a robot reads any sensor whose semantics is related
to ticks then it only runs one cycle per tick, otherwise it can run as
many times as it can within a time slice. So "pure" computations aren't
slowed down by the tick mechanism.

Regarding Croquet's "interesting relationships between pseudotimelines
and realtimelines" -- how can one find out more about that?

Best,

-ken kahn