[Squeakland] Re: [Q] How can we make web proxies transparent for the squeak plugin?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 2 20:21:47 PST 2004

Actually I've altered the squeakland plugin so the latest version found
at

see http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/

SqueakLand.3.7.2b1.dmg

Should use the proxy information to do the browser related get/post
calls. The plugin does not however use the browser netscape callbacks
which are busted in safari to do this. Rather it relies on Apple's
internet api which supports the proxy information set in the network
control pane in the system preferences. People are welcome to confirm
that post/gets via browser api in the browser plugin works as expected
with proxies.

On Mar 2, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Markus Gaelli wrote:
>
>> HTTPSocket stopUsingProxyServer
>> I don't  have to do something similar for Java / Flash plugins.
>> Could we make that transparent also?
> > I am on OS-X 10.2
>
> This is (or was? John?) a problem on OS X, as due to a bug in Safari
> we can't use the browser to access the web.
>
> What does this mean?
> On platforms where this works, Squeak goes through the browser to
> access the web thereby utilizing the browser's ability to deal with
> proxies.
>
> On platforms where this does not work, we connect to the web directly
> from within Squeak, but then we don't know what the browser knows.
>
> John McIntosh did a lot of bug fixing lately, so we need to check
> again.
>
> Thank you for bringing this up!
>
> Michael

===