[Squeakland] Why not an "intermediary " list ?

Remi Sussan rsussan at noos.fr
Wed Mar 10 14:17:45 PST 2004

Hello  Emilio !
> I cannot change your sense of 'atmosphere' but, please, give Squeak-dev
list
> a try.
>
> Regards.

Of course, I'm subscribed to dev-list as well (only with the "no email"
option!), but  as I said, how can one really use a list when one has to
browse through 100-200 posts in order to find a post that, although not
dealing directly with one's own work, is at least at one's own level of
understanding? Again, don't take it as a criticism of the dev-list! I
understand that what people are doing there is tremendously important! I
just think that trying to mix communities with so different interests and
agendas is too difficult. People trying to modify a VM and people trying to
move a bunny in a creative way are not the same people; although the second
ones certainly owe everything to the first ones (and perhaps even change
category one day)..

As I said earlier it is not only about asking and answering questions: it's
about automatically generating documentation...Squeak is an open source,
free system; people are working on it on their spare time. One cannot ask to
anybody to write an extensive documentation. But if people had archives of
mails (or forum's posts) dealing with all the important questions relevant
to a given level of knowledge, this  would really help..

You know, for me it is too late, I have been assimilated ;-). I will
continue to use Squeak, despite the lack of documentation, despite the
difficulties to find the right info, etc. Squeak is better. Better than
Java, better than Microsoft products, even better than some multimedia
applications such as the couple Director/Flash....It remains to convince
people about this. I'm convinced that many of these "intermediary
programmers", perhaps the real Squeak's "marketing niche",  may be
frightened, after a first contact, by the brutal level jump between the
first tutorials (or first books) and the high level of the squeak community
as it appears on the web...

But as I said, if people think differently, no big deal for me..I will stay,
anyway ;-)...

Bye
Remi