[Squeakland] Re: Squeaking Homeschoolers?

Gary Frederick gary.frederick at jsoft.com
Mon Mar 22 11:04:44 PST 2004

Howdy,

I showed her how to start Squeak and how to run the tutorials I got from
   http://www.squeakland.org/author/etoys.html#tutorials

I asked her to play with the car example in "The World of Squeak:
Scripts". She did the tutorials, played with the script example and then
looked around. She modified the example, replacing the car with
something that looks more like a LEGO RCX. She added some of the widgets
to the track and set it to go around the track by moving forward then
turning. She then looked at some of the other examples in "The World of
Squeak". She ended up playing with the music examples, modifying some
midi files.

She thinks Squeak is worth using more. She said it was confusing at
first and would have liked to have some help as she was getting going.

She felt uncomfortable with saving the image at first, wondering if she
would break something when she saved.

She had some trouble when she was working with her image. We may get
back with details. She found drawing to be comparable to using the Paint
program on Windows.

I asked her to start using Squeak to get a feel for what it is like to
start Squeaking around without much input. We will work with the kids
when we introduce them, giving them support where needed. I'll get back
with anything that seems worth saying as I show kids.

Gary