[Squeakland] Re: Squeaking Homeschoolers?

Gary Frederick gary.frederick at jsoft.com
Tue Mar 23 05:28:53 PST 2004

Howdy,

Kim Rose wrote:

> Hi, Gary -
>
> Sounds to me like you are using the "Squeak.org" image/download as
> opposed to what one gets when they do the download from
> "Squeakland.org"....(the "Worlds of Squeak" projects come as part of the
> "Squeak.org" download.)  While these are not really geared to users of
> your daughter's age, it sounds like she still had some fun.

I'm using both. I used the Squeak.org image while I was getting the
plugin to work. My daughter is old enough to use both, she helps with
the younger kids.

> The kids we work with, using the "Squeakland" image, are encouraged to
> save (publish) their projects (they get saved as a .pr file) and then
> load them in again to view/play again/change/share.  This way, the image
> is always "fresh/pristine" and never gets saved....the "project" is the
> unit to be saved.
>
> I'd encourge the two of you to look at the "Kids Play" section of the
> Squeakland site,
> http://www.squeakland.org/kids/kidshome.html
> to see and explore more "kid-created" projects.
>
> You might also explore this site:
> http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/%7Ercaton/SqIndex/squeakindex.html
> for some wonderful Squeak/Etoy projects created by our colleague,
> Randall Caton, at NASA.

I'll follow up. Thanks.

> Thanks for the feedback -- feel free to send more as you continue to
> explore!

I showed one small group of kids Squeak yesterday. They were eager to
continue working on what the class has been covering and I did not see a
lot of enthusiasm for Squeak. I will use it in a different class
tomorrow and will report back on that.

How I showed them:

I put one of the examples from the kid-created projects up and ran it. I
talked about it a bit and them showed the examples from 'The World of
Squeak'. We ran the car around the race track and played with some midi
files. Two of the kids were interested in the music, but commented that
they had other programs that did what the example did. I would have
showed them that they could change how it worked if I had looked at how
to do that before class. We went back to what we were working on. I
showed the class the 3D example close to the end of class. They have
worked with Blender and I wanted them to see another bit of software
that did 3D modeling. They were coming up with suggestions for moving
the model around and starting to become interested when the class ended )-:

Gary