[Squeakland] Question: delays, collections, object instance variables

Thomas Oeding Thomas.Oeding at gmx.de
Tue Mar 23 19:28:48 PST 2004

forward for Poster at Kinetium dot Com <poster at kinetium.com>:

Hi.

Five questions from a newby.

1. It appears that tiles placed in a script are executed as sequential
Smalltalk statements. Is this correct?

2. Some tiles (e.g. make sound) appear to involve asynchronous calls to
outside services, returning before completion of that service. For example,
if I put 2 make sounds in sequence, they get garbled together. Is my
understanding correct, and is there a way to synchronize on the completion
of the sound or to insert something like a delay between the calls so they
are heard as two sequential sounds?

3. Is it possible to use collections? e.g. can I make a collection of
ladybugs and then use collection methods? I don't mind using text instead of
tiles.

4. If I paint two eToys objects (sorry, don't know the right term), how can
I set an instance variable of one to point at the oher?

5. Lastly, I noticed that if I view the text version of a script and edit
it, then switch back to the tile view, I lose the edits I made. Is there a
gradual way to transition from the tiles, drag-n-drop programming version to
full(er) Smalltalk or is it an all-or-nothing abrupt jump?

Thanks!! (and an email reply would be greatly appreciated).

Newbie