[Squeakland] Assessment

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 26 10:21:53 PST 2004

Hi Doug --

Interesting comments ....

The simplest thing I can say here is that there are now enough
examples from the last 100 years or so to convince at least me that
children are generally capable of much much more than most adults
(and especially most schools) suppose. Thus, there is a very sad
sense in which "adults are children's worst enemies" since the adults
tend to control the environments in which children can learn things.

I see the Squeak etoys as trying to build on the idea that children
are capable of much much more. However, I think there are many
routes, including low-tech ones, in which much better assessment of
what children are capable of learning can be done.

Another truly important idea about children which should be part of
any learning environment, is that different children learn
differently and for different reasons. Though this seems like an
unremarkable observation, most learning environments do little to
nothing to deal with these most important facts.

At this point in time it would be great to have either much better
teaching (which includes much more understanding by teachers of the
arts they are supposed to be teaching) or much better computer
environments that can help children better than most adults can.
Right now, we have neither, and there is great need for work and
resources for both.

Cheers,

Alan