[Squeakland] Assessment

Thomas Oeding Thomas.Oeding at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 09:00:50 PST 2004

Forward for "Mankovsky, Sheine" <Sheine.Mankovsky at tdsb.on.ca>:

As a parent first, and a member of this "community", I'd like to lovingly
suggest that you reread this portion on your note to the list Doug.

This has special meaning to me because my daughter, like me when I was in
lower school, tends to make careless errors on math tests from going too
fast. So this keeps her out of some of the advanced math pull-outs. Yet the
kids in those pull-outs come to her for help because she knows the math and
if she doesn't, can figure it out very quickly or knows who to ask and
isn't afraid because she is very confident about her ability to understand
what she will hear as a response.

I'm not an educator but I was a kid, and have refused steadfastly to
completely enter the adult world.  That would make me "immature"  but
empathetic to your childhood experience and to your child's present
situation.

The beauty of Squeak is its commitment to kids--unconditionally.   When I
visited Cathy and B.J.'s classrooms I didn't pay much attention to their
delivery of a Squeak lesson--no offence intended.  I wasn't there to
consider the teaching dimension.   I sat with a couple of kids in each case,
asked them to show me around, and watched and listened to them learning with
Squeak.  It was only because of what I experienced during that morning, that
I decided to pursue the use of Squeak at the local school board where I am a
trustee.  And all the more, because I knew they could take it home with
them, although not in all cases, and do whatever they chose to with it
there.

Best to you all.  Sheine