[Squeakland] Problems with Installation

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Oct 4 13:29:00 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I'm in the enjoyable situation to teach squeak to some teachers from local high schools and therefore
would like to install the newest version of the squeaklandImage in our lab. The problem we
encountered immediately was with accessing the standard "C:\MySqueak"-directory when logged in as
a normal user. It took some time and help from Bert to determine what to do.

First of all, can you tell me what the "SecurityKeys" are for? We had to switch them off in the image.
Then I don't know what the  "EtoyLogin" in the preferences stands for. It is enabled and I haven't
changed it. But I would like to know about it.

That is the core problem, I think, that there is little documentation. In our installation we got problems
until I was pointed to the swiki and the site with the win32 ini file settings. Our problem was solved with
the adding of two lines in the squeak.ini containing the path for UserDirectory and SecureDirectory. But
it costs us some time to find out. It would have been much easier if in the squeak.ini file the two lines
with the current settings for the UserDirectory and SecureDirectory were just added. It is easy for any
slightly technical person to change a path in the .ini-file.

Now I would like to set up a project server. Where can I find documentation how to do this?

Thank you,

Rita

P.S. Since I'm not an native speaker I hope my english is understandable