[Squeakland] Newbie installation question - security system fails

Herb Schilling hschilling at nasa.gov
Thu Oct 21 15:25:57 PDT 2004

>I just realized that I too have this situation and the timing is crucial as
>I'm going out to a Girl Scouts computer lab today to have their sysadmin
>install Squeak.  However, the fix(es) you suggested, Michael, don't work for
>me.  This could be due to my lack of knowledge on Windows, but here's my
>brief summary.
>
>I installed Squeak under my personal/Admin acct, then created a 'tester'
>acct.  Running Squeak from tester, I have symptoms similar to what Herb
>described, i.e., it starts up with a msg "Initializing security system..."
>(something that I don't see when running on my acct) and then I get "Error:
>a primitive has failed" with the Store log|Abandon|Debug choices.  As Herb
>said, hitting Abandon and continuing seems to allow one to run normally,
>including being able to save projects.  (So, this is really just a nuisance
>bug, but one I'd rather not have when trying to instill confidence to
>sysadmins/newbies about installing/running Squeak).
>
>I then tried to give write permission to c:\My Squeak, as you suggested.
>And here's where my Windows ignorance plays out.  Right-mouse on this folder
>and going to Properties, I turn off the "Read Only" button, apply to all
>subfolders, but it doesn't seem to stick.  Closing the Properties and
>opening it up again shows the "Read only" button selected again.  I then go
>to the "Sharing" tab and attempt to turn on share with others, including
>dragging it to the Shared Documents, but I still get the same error msg when
>running from tester.  I'm at a loss.

One thing that worked for me:

1. Log in as non-admin

2. Start Squeak

3. From the World menu, do Save As... Keep the suggested name and click Accept

4. Quit Squeak

5. Now you can drag and drop the image that you Saved As onto the
Squeak plugin. In my case the image file was in C:\My Squeak\student.
No more errors.

6. You could also add and ImageFile option in the squeak.ini file
that points to the saved image. Then you could just start Squeak and
it would go straight to the right image.

7. I tried to associate the .image extension with Squeak but when I
set that in the admin account, it doesn't seem to carry over to the
student account. In the student account I am not permitted to set
that association.

>About "seeing only half of bottom row of Supplies", yes, that does indeed
>seem to be the default behavior when you simply click on the tab (attached
>image).  However, maybe Herb doesn't realize that you can simply drag the
>Supplies tab itself up higher to see everything in that bottom/2nd row.
>Then the next time you open the Supplies tab with a single click, it'll
>remember its previous height.

Thanks. I did finally figure this out too.

>BTW, I sent in a different question to this list yesterday, but it still
>hasn't shown.  I may have asked before, but is this a human-filtered list?
>It seems like a rather lengthy delay.

I have noticed this too!
--
Herb Schilling
NASA Glenn Research Center
hschilling at nasa.gov

Resolve to edge in a little reading every day, if it is but a single
sentence. If you gain fifteen minutes a day, it will make itself felt
at the end of the year.
             -- Horace
Mann