[Squeakland] organization of net-squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Apr 10 07:54:08 PDT 2005

If I'm not mistaken, the version of Squeak used by Squeakland is only
loosely related to the version developed by the "squeak-dev" group.
Further, serious problems have been reported [1] by people trying to use
squeak-dev images for Squeakland purposes.

We are missing an opportunity.  There are hoards of developers in the
squeak-dev group itching to hack on Squeak.  I believe that with a
little bit of organizational effort, those guys and the Squeakland group
can synergize to produce a big Squeak code base that is stable, highly
featureful, and (Squeakland's role) has a point to it.

Don't overlook the squeak-dev guys too quickly, just because they are a
bunch of gearheaded hacker types.  In addition to making Squeak more
reliable, they can provide additional options for Squeakland activities.
 Yes, they love to talk about alphabet soup--CORBA, XML-RPC, SMTP,
...--but they can also get Squeak talking to webcams, web services like
Google maps, more file formats, instant messaging networks, and on and
on.

How do we move forward, if you agree?  One possibility is to mimick
successful groups such as Debian.  I've posted more about this direction
here:

	http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/45.html

Lex Spoon

[1]