[Squeakland] Random

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon Apr 11 20:04:13 PDT 2005

This is why there is no parameter on the random tile. It is good for
children to realize that they can get a random number in any interval by
simple addition.

The random number tile generates numbers between 1 and the number that is
set on it. So if we want to generate random numbers between 15 and 21, then
we can do this by the sum: 14 + random 7. Often it is a good idea to make a
new variable to hold such calculations:
                    newRandom <- 14 + random 7
would be a typical line in a script.

In general it is good to help children to do "automatic arithmetic"
whenever they see numbers. There are other places in the etoys where one
might also put "a feature", but where having the children do a simple
relationship from scratch is better for them.

Cheers,

Alan