[Squeakland] Random

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Apr 12 08:26:07 PDT 2005

Ah, now I understand what you were asking! Good question!

I'll ask Scott Wallace for his opinion here also.

I think the simplest answer is that this should be like the feature
"forward" (which can be made from simpler stuff in etoys but is not worth
putting the children through the process early on -- so it is provided as a
feature). That we can't simply drop a variable name on Random (and extend
it for arithmetic) is a bug and should be fixed in this version of etoys or
the next.

It is possible (and illuminating) to make a random number generator by hand
in etoys, but I don't think this should be an early burden on 11 year olds!

What do you think Scott?

Cheers,

Alan