[Squeakland] Please help us test "Squeakland05"

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Aug 3 20:57:06 PDT 2005

Hi, Randy,

Whether or not a phrase gets automatically expanded into a new Script
when you drop it into a container depends on what the *container*
decides is the right thing to do.  This is governed by the "playfield
option" named "auto-phrase-expansion", which you can see and set from
the "playfield options" menu of the container.

By default, BookPageMorphs, which are what the pages of a "Book"
consist of, do *not* have the "auto-phrase-expansion" flag set, which
is why when you drop a phrase in such a container, it does not
automatically expand into a Script.

If you want a particular BookPage or Playfield to *have* that kind of
behavior, bring up its Playfield Options menu, find the relevant
checkbox, and check it.  Thenceforth, it will have that behavior.

Conversely, if you should happen *not* to want that kind of behavior
on your "desktop" (aka the "world"), you can bring up the "playfield
options" menu for the "world" and *uncheck* the auto-phrase-expansion
option.

Experience has proven that both alternatives are really necessary,
and we've set the defaults the way they are (on for the World, on for
a "Scripting Area", off for a generic Playfield, off for a Holder,
off for a default BookPage) based on perceived needs over the years.

So... what recourse do you have?

(1)  You can set the "auto-phrase-expansion" option of your book
page(s) to true.

(2)  Or, whenever you want a phrase to be automatically expanded into
a script, you, simply drop the phrase on the *desktop* to get the
script created.  Once it's created, you can pick it up and place it
on a book-page if you wish.

(3)  Finally, if, for whatever reason, you have a bare phrase, and
you want to get it directly converted into a new script consisting of
that phrase, there's an option at the bottom of the PhraseTile's halo
menu to do just that -- look for "Sprout a new scriptor around this
phrase."

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  Looking forward to seeing you in Chicago in just a few days!