[Squeakland] Squeakland Digest, Vol 28, Issue 3

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 5 03:21:47 PDT 2005

Scott,
It appeared in a July 30 post from Kim:  --Randy

Dear Squeaklanders --

Greetings.  We've been working hard to ready an updated and improved
"Squeakland image" intended to be the standard base for us to use in
the 2005-06 school year.

It is important that it be well-tested before putting it up on the
Squeakland website, so that schools can install for the new year,
etc.   So, we are now asking you to help us with that testing now and
throughout SqueakFest.

The new image can be downloaded from one of these sites:

http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/~andreas/Squeakland05.zip
http://www.impara.de/~andreas/Squeakland05.zip
http://squeakalpha.org/squeakland05/Squeakland05.zip

Installation instructions:
* Navigate to the Squeakland installation directory:
[Win:] C:\Program Files\Squeak\Plugin
[Mac:] After unzipping the compressed file, a "Squeakland05.image"
Squeak icon will appear on your desktop (it will *not* replace your
current Squeak icon).  Double-click on it to launch.
* Rename the existing SqueakPlugin.image into SqueakPlugin05.image
* Extract Squeakland05.image and rename it to SqueakPlugin.image

When you open the new image you will see  "- Squeakland05 -  This is
a test version." in the center of the screen.  If you so not see
this, you have not launched the new image.

There is not a lot visibly different in this image from last school
year's version.  It has had some bugs fixed, and is now based on the
3.8 "squeak.org" image used by developers, programmers, etc.  We like
keeping these versions as compatible as possible.  Much of the new
code helps with mutiple languages within Squeak and compatibility
with Squeaks in other countries (Japan, Spain, etc.)

What is most important is that you load *your* projects into this
image to make sure they load properly.  Please also create, play,
publish, etc. to test it out.

We want to use the next 2 weeks for testing and feedback.  We will
make fixes/adjustments if necessary and then "freeze" it and post to
Squeakland immediately following SqueakFest (by August 15) to ensure
the posting of a stable version for installation for the '05/06
school year.

Please please report any problems and if do you, be sure to tell us
which platform you use, which OS, browser version, and include any
'broken project', screen shot of error message, etc.  The more info
you send us the easier it is to try to determine the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help to test!
Hope to see you at SqueakFest!
regards,
Kim