[Squeakland] multiple authors?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 13 12:09:04 PST 2005

The chat badges are actually functional, but they are "not civilized". I've
been giving demos for years using them. And they do much more, they can
also do real time screen sharing with multiple cursors. There is a form of
VOIP that can be used to talk back and forth.

But this is not currently a "supported feature". There is not a good UI for
setting up the badges. And the badges need the IP address rather than a
name in a registry, etc. We expect to have a much more flexible and
supported version of these features by the end of 2006.

The second paragraph indicates that your students might be working in
Squeak rather than in the children's etoys system which is on top of
Squeak. If so you should probably go to squeak.org instead of using
squeakland for these kinds of questions. Squeak has an extensive
development system, and there are some interesting packages for it,
including one by Umezawa-san in Japan that is set up for joint development
over a network.

For the ultra version of all this (and a peek into the future a few years
from now) look at http://opencroquet.org .

Cheers,

Alan