[Squeakland] PPT presentation

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Feb 1 08:28:06 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:43:13 -0500 "Randy Heiland" <heiland at indiana.edu> wrote:
>Q1:  is a ThreadNavigator (TN) persistent; i.e., can I save it to disk as I
>can projects?  (a 'no' answer to this will cause me to reconsider this
>approach)

Sure. If you save a single project that has a Thread Navigator visible, then that navigator will be there when you reload the project. Alternatively, you can save the whole image, thus saving all projects and all threads at once.

>Q2: what are the exact steps for adding an *existing* project to a TN?
>When I create a New project (that I eventually want added to a TN), it gives
>me a clean world and I lose the TN.  I'm confused.

1. If you are in the new project without a navigator, get one as you did before (supplies flap, new morph menu, whatever).
2. By default that navigator will contain all projects. Switch it to the thread you have been constructing by clicking in the orange dot in the middle of the navigator to get a menu. In the first section of that menu, there should be an item "switch to <whateverYouNamedYourThread>". Choose that item.
3. From the second section of that same menu choose "create thread of all projects". This will open a Project Sorter containing all projects. Move it away from the center of the screen since we are going to open another sorter and we'd like to be able to see both of them.
4. From the menu once more, choose "edit this thread". You now have a sorter for your thread. You can now drag projects from the "all projects" sorter into your thread. You can drag projects within your thread to reorder them and you can drag projects out of your thread so they are no longer part of the presentation.
5. When you have finished, click OK on your thread and confirm the name (or change it if you like). Click Cancel on the "all projects" sorter since we were just using it for spare parts.

Cheers,
Bob