[Squeakland] How can I make an object to follow a path?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 15 00:00:10 PST 2005

Hi, Suna,

There are various ways of making an object behave in a manner that
could be described as "following a path."

(1)  Here's a very simple way, which *might* suit your needs:

Bring up the halo on your object, and look in the "extras" submenu of
the halo menu; you'll see three "path-related" items.  When you
choose "define path", the cursor changes to a special "path-defining"
cursor, and you're invited to drag your object in the path you wish
it to follow; release the mouse button when you're through.

You can then get the object to re-traverse that path any time by
choosing "follow existing path" from that same menu.  Or, to follow
the path programmatically, deploy the "follow path" tile, which
you'll find in the "miscellaneous" category of a Viewer.

(2)  If the path can be defined by a series of points in the x-y
plane, another approach is to write a series of ticking scripts, each
of which is in charge of getting the object from one of the reference
points to the next; each such script, once it has accomplished its
purpose, "stops" itself and starts the next script in the sequence to
ticking.

Incidentally, the ideal place to post this kind of question is the
Squeakland mailing list.  If you're not yet a subscriber, I encourage
you to join :-)

If neither of the above suggestions fulfills your needs, please
describe what you want in more detail, and most likely you'll receive
more suggestions from readers of the Squeakland list.

Cheers,

  -- Scott