[Squeakland] Some questions regarding 'supplies'

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 25 07:34:24 PST 2005

I'll be glad to answed your questions, but for some of them I need to know
what version of Squeak/Etoys you are using.

At 09:25 PM 2/24/2005, Suna Ryu wrote:
>1. How can we combine two tools in supplies flap?
>    e.g. Text and line, or Text and rectangle..so on.

I think I understand this question. If you want to put a rectangle that
contains text into a supplies flap, you first get out a rectangle object,
and then a text object. Place the text object over the rectangle, and look
in the text object's red dot menu. You will see "embed ...". Choose this,
and then choose "rectangle". Now the text object is a part of the rectangle
object, but can still be edited. Now pick up the rectangle object and drop
it into the supplies bin. It will show up there in a reduced size. Now you
can drag copies out. (BTW, any playfield can be converted into a supplies
bin. Look in its red menu for "playfield options".

>2. How can we make tables and graphs with using squeak?

This is a good thing for children to learn. Each object in Etoys has a pen,
so you can construct a grapher by making a small paint dot or pulling out
an ellipse from the supplies bin (make it small). Put the pen down and
choose the size and color of the ink. A simple graphing script is then:
     dot graph  ticking
          dot's x increase by 1
          dot's y <-   <whatever value you want to graph, etc>

>3. What is the "graph"'s function?
>    I can see only one graph looks like a sine or a cosine graph.

This is a different kind of graph that is used for sound. These can be made
in etoys but are more cumbersome than above.

>4. What is the "ruler"'s function?

We haven't used this with children.

>5. I tried to use "arrow editor", but i don't know exact function of "sample".

Are you using Etoys or regular Squeak. If Squeak, then these questions are
best asked on the Squeak list (you can sign up on www.squeak.org).

>    How can we drag out a shown arrow to the world?
>    I can drag out a word to the world though.
>6. How can we make screen print?

Each object has an "export" in its red menu.

>7. In "starsqueak", how can we use "slimemold" and "trees"?
>    are they existed a sort of model? or can we use them for other projects?
>     It seems to me that the couple of models looked like from logo

StarSqueak was derived from Resnick's StarLogo. We now use Yoshiki
Ohshima's "Kedama", which is a particle system that can be programmed
almost identically to the Etoys.

Best wishes,

Alan