[Squeakland] Some questions regarding 'supplies'

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Feb 26 06:53:52 PST 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 9:25 pm, Suna Ryu wrote:
> 5. I tried to use "arrow editor", but i don't know exact function of
> "sample". How can we drag out a shown arrow to the world?
>    I can drag out a word to the world though.

I'm sorry that I didn't provide good help for the Arrow Editor. (If someone
would like to write up a help text for it, I'd be glad to add a 'help' button
to the editor).

The arrow editor lets you define new end decorations (including arrows) for
Connectors. It uses the characters from a TrueType font that has been
installed in your copy of Squeak. Squeak comes with three TrueType fonts
installed (the BitstreamVera family). You may want to install another font
(like Wingdings) to have more choices for end decorations.

When you have chosen a shape to use as an end decoration, the "sample" button
just shows you a sample of what a connector would look like with that shape
on its end.

You can drag the green squares at the ends and middle of the sample, but the
sample itself is not an object that can be used.

(The "Make Morph" button uses the selected shape to make a stand-alone Curve
object that you can use by itself).

The sample is helpful to do things like setting the arrow scales or attachment
points. When the sample looks like you want it to, you can then use the
"Install" button to give a name to the end decoration you've chosen.

Now you can close the Arrow Editor.

To use the end decoration you've just defined:

- get a connector from the Objects tool or a flap.
- move the mouse over one of the ends of the connector
- and use your middle or right mouse button (or hold down Alt or Cmd while
clicking on an end) to bring up the Connector's menu.
- You should see a menu with "end..." and "new arrow" as its last items.
- click on "new arrow". A little window called "Arrows" will appear.
- use the "Prev" or "Next" buttons in that window, or search from its menu
until your new arrow is being shown.
- choose OK and that arrow will be used on that end of the Connector.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com