[Squeakland] Help recovering saved file

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Jan 20 13:36:07 PST 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 10:13 am, Bob Irving wrote:

> I am the Middle School Tech Facilitator here at Lancaster Country Day
> School in PA.  I am trying to use Squeak in a 7th grade programming
> class.  As a newbie, I'm taking the "let's figure it out together"
> approach.  The problem is in saving projects.
>
> We're doing the Make your own Car tutorial.  When the students try to
> Publish, if they don't choose the  Publish option (instead of Publish
> As), the screen goes into a grid overlay and freezes, and no amount of
> tinkering seems to regain control.  I was able to save the projects
> using the World menu, but when I reload them, they still have the grid
> overlay and are not editable.  Is there a way to reload the projects as
> editable if they have been published first in what looks like the
> incorrect way?
>
> I would very much appreciate some help on this very elementary topic.

How are you running Squeak?
If you're doing it from a web browser, which one?
What operating system?
What version of Squeak (you can hit Esc, choose "help", then "about this
system")?
When you choose "Publish As" (how are you getting to this?), what folder do
you choose (if the requestor comes up at all)? If you want to save it on
disk, you should choose the "untrusted" folder, probably.

When there is a problem publishing and you still see the grid, try to open a
menu (using the Esc key) or use the Navigator to go to the prior project.

If you can, there may well be a dialog box open in that project that says that
something went wrong. You can choose to "save a log". This will write a
SqueakDebug.log file in the current folder; you can send this to the list and
we'll take a look at it.

When we publish, we actually make a copy of the project and jump into it so
that we can publish the real project. It is the copy of the project (which
gets named "zzTemp" in which the grid is displayed.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com