[Squeakland] Help recovering continued

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Jan 23 18:58:58 PST 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 4:37 am, Randy Heiland wrote:
> Not wanting to confuse the situation, but just for my own understanding, I
> have seemingly contradictory ways of obtaining the current version.  (I too
> am running on WinXP).  I can use Ned's method:  Esc->Help->about this
> system and I get "Squeakland 3.8.5976, update #371"
>
> Or, I can rightmouse in the top border of the Squeak window, when a popup
> window appears and I do "VM Prefs -> Display version info"  and I get
> "Squeak 3.6.2/Tea 1.9 VM (release) from Nov 12 2003.  Compiler
> gcc2.95.2..."

Right. Those are both correct; it's just that they're talking about two
different things:

* the first one (about this system) reports the *image* version. It is the
image into which one loads updates.

* the second one (via VM Prefs) is reporting the version of the VM (virtual
machine), which is not updated nearly as often.

> Anyway, fwiw, when I hold down on the "PUBLISH IT" button, I have the 4
> Publish
> Publish as...
> Publish to different server
> edit Project info
>
> Only when I select 'Publish to different server' do I see folders on disk
> (local machine).  Selecting 'Publish as...' or simply quick-clicking on the
> "PUBLISH IT" button results in the same thing - only one selectable folder,
> called 'squeak'.  (BTW, I also have an intermediate window that pops up,
> telling me to describe the project).  This PUBLISH IT button has always
> seemed a little unintuitive to me, but probably because I want to equate it
> to being a 'Save' menu item that's ubiquitous in computer apps.  I guess I
> want to be asked where I want it saved/published, since I typically want to
> put different Squeak projects (.pr files) in different
> projects/folders/directories.  And I realize that is indeed possible via
> the "Publish to different server" option.  I suspect the simplicity of the
> quick-click PUBLISH IT button (followed later by the Find button) is
> well-suited to kids.

I believe that this is the intent of PUBLISH IT. If set up properly, this can
allow for a shared folder, perhaps on a network drive, where everyone in a
particular class or group can save projects.

> One last question - I installed Squeak as user 'heiland', then I created a
> 2nd user acct ('tester') and installed Squeak under him too.  Now, while
> working as heiland and running Squeak, when I save a project, it gets saved
> in tester's squeak folder, whereas I expect it to be saved in my/heiland's
> squeak folder.  Suggestions?

How did you install Squeak?

I believe that there may be a single .ini file for certain settings on
Windows.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com