[Squeakland] Plugin/Firefox/Mac OSX

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jan 24 20:27:36 PST 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 11:43 pm, JP Glutting wrote:
> The Squeak environment works fine. I have installed it on OS X, and at
> least 3 times on Linux (from .debs, from source, with a script). I
> have symlinked the plugin .so file to the Firefox plugin directory on
> Linux. The plugin does not work. The OS X install has several
> different plugins in the Squeak directory, but I don't know where to
> copy them to, or symlink them to, or which is needed.
>
> I can't even get things to run in the Squeak browser.
>
> Anyone who has done this by hand, and remembers what steps to take, I
> would very much like to hear about it.

These things work for me on Linux. In Firefox, if I browse to:

 about:plugins

I see:

Squeak
    File name: npsqueak.so
    Squeak is a modern open source Smalltalk environment. The Squeak Plugin
handles Squeaklets.
    The Squeak Plugin for Unix was developed by Bert Freudenberg, it uses the
Squeak VM developed by Ian Piumarta and many others.

MIME Type  Description  Suffixes  Enabled
application/x-squeak-source  Squeak source  sts  Yes
application/x-squeak-object  Squeak object  sqo  Yes
application/x-squeak-project  Squeak project  pr  Yes

I have installed the npsqueak.so plugin (*not* a symlink to it) into my
~/.mozilla/plugins directory.

I also have the following structure in my ~/.npsqueak directory:

$ ls -R ~/.npsqueak
/home/ned/.npsqueak:
secure/  SqueakPlugin.image  untrusted/

/home/ned/.npsqueak/secure:
Squeak.keys

/home/ned/.npsqueak/untrusted:
<various projects and logs>
Squeaklets/

/home/ned/.npsqueak/untrusted/Squeaklets:
<various projects>

===
OS/X
===
I just tried an OS/X install (on a system that I also had a prior Squeak
installation on) from the squeakland.org download page. I have Panther
installed. I got the Squeakland.10.x.x.dmg file, and mounted it.

Just as a wild guess, I double clicked on the file named
"Double-Click-To-install.command". I carefully avoided reading the file named
ReadMe.rtf, of course.

This double-clicking opened a Squeak image. It may have also done other
things, but it didn't interact with me, so I killed it (I have little
patience with programs that don't want to talk to me).

Hmm... the install stuck an alias to "Squeak 3.0" on my desktop, so apparently
something happened. Also there's an alias to "My Squeak".

Let's try Firefox...

browsed back to squeakland.org
navigated to "Kid's Play" (http://squeakland.org/kids/kidshome.html) and tried
to load Faceball.

It launched Squeak; I got a requester offering to load updates. I chose "yes".
(I know (in some cases very well) the people who wrote these updates, so I
feel safe doing this).

It did so, and I was left with a blank Squeak desktop. I quit, and hit the
"back" button on my browser. Try it again...

Yup, seems to work. Bouncing faces.

Can you tell us what didn't work in your installs, and what you did?

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com