[Squeakland] confusion over updates

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 25 14:49:53 PST 2005

This may have some relevance to Bob Irving's earlier thread on 'recovering',
not sure.  Here's my situation.  For grins, I decided to uninstall my Squeak
plugin (actually, this had to do with my earlier post of having installed it
twice, under 2 different users on my machine).  After uninstalling, I
installed it anew from squeakland.org -> Download Squeak now! -> get
installer (I'm on WinXP), execute it.

Then I run Squeak and check the version - it's 3.8.5976, update #347.  I
then do an update (Esc->help->update code from server) and, sure enough, it
grabs several updates.  I then draw a little ditty, attempt to save the
project, and get a warning-type msg (which I abbreviate): "Some blocks which
ref instance vars are included... These may fail... What do you want to do?
Keep going | Stop and look".  I stop & look, but eventually it seems to
freeze with the overlay grid still up as Bob hinted at.

Anyway, I quit, run Squeak again, do another update.  This time it updates
27 new files and says it could not load 13 updates files (it says "starting
with squeakalpha.org/updates/0375ProjectLoad-tk.cs").  I check the version
and am at update #374 (347+27=374).  I quit.  Run Squeak again, version =
update #347.  Do another update, this time, it seems to finish successfully.
I check and I'm at update #387.  I quit, run Squeak again, check version and
I'm back to #347.

Q: is it true that doing an update is only valid for a current Squeak
session and that they don't become part of the executable?

Thanks, and sorry to be long-winded, --Randy