[Squeakland] Mozilla Plugin and Debian (Linux)

JP Glutting jpglutting at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:33:29 PST 2005

I am still trying to get the Squeak plugin to work in Debian. I have
version 3.6-3 installed (from .debs), and the desktop environment
works fine.

I downloaded a npsqueak-image installer, and went through the install
script to find out what to do. It seems that there is a script in
/usr/lib/squeak called npsqueakregister that needs to be run. (the
install script actually was looking in /usr/local/lib/, but the .debs
put squeak in /usr/lib, which should be fine).

The npsqueakregister script looks for
/usr/lib/squeak/3.6-3/npsqueak.so, which I have.

The script, when run, gives this message:

File not found: /usr/lib/squeak/3.6-3/npsqueak.so
Aborting.

It seems that the permissions on npsqueak.so are not set correctly. It
is set with permissions 644 [rw-r--r--], when the file needs to be
executable. The npsqueakregister script is actually checking to see if
npsqueak.so is an executable file (if [ ! -x "$NPSQUEAK_SO" ] ), and
exits with an error message if it is not.

I changed the permissions on npsqueak.so [chmod a+x npqueak.so]

The npsqueakregister script then produces:

Registering /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npsqueak.so
create symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
`/usr/lib/squeak/3.6-3/npsqueak.so'
Registering /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/npsqueak.so
create symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
`/usr/lib/squeak/3.6-3/npsqueak.so'
Registering /usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/npsqueak.so
create symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/npsqueak.so'
to `/usr/lib/squeak/3.6-3/npsqueak.so'

Which looks great. However, I still can't run any .pr files in the
browser. I just get a blank, white page, with the message "Done" in
the status bar. This is what happened with OS X when the plugin was
not working as well.

On the positive side, Squeak is registered as a plugin (it registers
sts, sqo and pr files, while OS X only only registers sts and pr
files).

I am going to keep twiddling with this, and try to figure out what
went wrong. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far!

Cheers,
JP
--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair