[Squeakland] overlapsAny:, having trouble using

Dave Briccetti daveb at davebsoft.com
Mon Jul 4 22:43:36 PDT 2005

Scott Wallace wrote:

> Hi, Dave,
>
> Yes, please do post the project somewhere, and I (and others) will be
> glad to have a look at it.

I am following your example and attaching it to this message.

> Your #makeTargets: code looks fine and ought to work.  Indeed, I just
> now tried something equivalent to it in my example and it worked just
> as well as if I'd created the siblings manually.
>
> I think perhaps you intended to include another code snippet into your
> email, the one that queries "altColDetectMethod," as per your
> penultimate paragraph, but omitted it.  I presume that will be present
> in the project you post, but if not, please send that along as well.
>
> We'll get to the bottom of this...

I like that attitude!

> Cheers,
>

>  -- Scott
>
> PS:  How old are the kids you're working with?

Grades 5-9. Here are my announcements/reflections about the class:

http://dbschools.com/dbschools/servlet/main/action/SelectInfo?selann166=A

Tomorrow starts week 3 of 3, then there's a second session of the same
three classes: Python, Squeak, and Multiplayer Network Games Programming
(which I more and more want to do in Squeak [rather than Java or Python]).

> PPS:  By the way, fwiw, you can actually achieve the same effect as
> your #makeTargets entirely within the tile-script regime, without
> needing to resort to textual scripting, using code like the following
> to create, add, and position each sibling:

Ah, good! And presumably there's a mechanism to invoke that script some
arbitrary number of times.

Thanks so much.