[Squeakland] EToys Experience Report

Erik Nauman ENauman at HewittSchool.org
Thu Mar 24 11:07:06 PST 2005

Point well taken. I'm glad you bring the discussion around to the
importance of collaboration because I've had students collaborate in
other situations with great results but in teaching with Squeak I
realize I've pulled back and figured I could save the students a lot of
frustration with a new tool by guiding them through solutions rather
than setting it up so they could find their own way through. Thanks for
the perspective!
Erik Nauman
The Hewitt School

-----Original Message-----
From: squeakland-bounces at squeakland.org
[mailto:squeakland-bounces at squeakland.org] On Behalf Of Mark Kesling
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 2:52 PM
To: squeakland at squeakland.org
Subject: Re: [Squeakland] EToys Experience Report

Ok! I will wade in on this one. Erik, I have been working with 3rd and
4th graders in at Orchard School in Indianapolis with Squeak for the
past 6 months and have some thoughts for you.

First, I think you are stuck by a more traditional definition of a
teacher's role in the instruction of students when using technology and
especially Squeak. I have found that neither I nor the children really
need much in the way of tutorials when we approach solving problems
together interactively with Squeak. Kim's book is very helpful but not
essential. Try to look at this less about teaching programming and use
it more as a problem solving tool for a variety of situations in
science and mathematics. My students have created some amazing
solutions to "child" problems in science and math using the software.

I actually know very little about squeak and find that I am better at
providing science and math problems (which can come from a traditional
currcululum) to solve and then letting teams of children work through
the solution. Which goes to the heart of my second point which is
allowing them to work collaboratively at first to learn Squeak.

Finally, my approach with my 120 3rd and 4th graders must be correct
since, via word of mouth between students and parents, the entire
middle school, grades 5 through 8, now want me to teach Squeak to them.
I have begun that process with the 6th grade and have found that
children have an amazing capacity to solve their own problems, even
those that require discovery. Personally, I hope we never get too slick
with the projects and documentation that we lose this wonderful element
of discovery and invention. I believe the entire premise behind etoys
was allowing children to create their own knowledge and for teachers to
guide and facilitate this process rather than directly instruct
students.

I hope this helps.

Mark

On Mar 23, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Erik Nauman wrote:

> I think the ideal would be something like your list below but a little
> more fleshed out for the classroom teacher audience. With more ideas
> accompanied with the specific "how tos" it would be less
time-consuming