[Squeakland] Security settings?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Nov 18 14:58:09 PST 2005

Mark Engelberg wrote:
> When first starting up Squeak on Windows XP, it says it is
> initializing the security system.  What exactly is it doing?

It's creating a public/private key pair which is used to automatically
distinguish your own projects from anybody else's. And when loading a
project that is not your own it turns on the sandbox (restricting
various activities, such as access to files etc.) as a safeguarding measure.

> Also, FYI, on my kids' account on XP, Squeak always crashes during
> this startup.  I suspect that the reason it crashes on their account
> is because the name of their account contains an ampersand symbol (&).

No. Ampersands in file names are fine.

> Fortunately, if we simply "abandon" the error, it seems to work just fine.

It would be useful if you could let us know what the error says so  that
we can try to fix it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas