[Squeakland] How can I use Bouncing Atoms?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Nov 24 06:26:58 PST 2005

On 24.11.2005, at 09:01, Hübner, Uwe wrote:

> How can I start, for example, an 'infection' process with bouncing
> atoms?

If you get the halos, in the red halo there are three entries at the
bottom:

startInfection
set atom count
show infection history

> Is it possible to influence anything else in 'bouncing atoms' object?

Not too much... it's not possible to control the atoms or the atomMorph
with eToys. The only things possible thus is 1) using the menu entries
shown above, 2) change the smalltalk code (that's for the real hackers)
or 3) do some simple things with direct manipulation.

I use 3) sometimes in demos to show the power of Smalltalk: You can e.g.
copy a atom, change it's velocity (using smalltalk development tools),
then put it back in.

That's a quite nice demo for showing the difference to people used to
more
static programming languages like C++.

For teaching things that go into the direction of what the bouncing
atoms
are (particle systems), you should look at Kedama.

english: http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/kedama/
german: http://www.mttcs.org/Skripte/Ang/material/kedama

I think this is part of the latest squeakland.org squeak version.

     Marcus