[Squeakland] nearly tearful success story

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 25 06:05:13 PDT 2005

I just wanted to report another successful introduction of Squeak/eToys to a
young group of children here in Indianapolis.  I began a new Squeak workshop
(for 6-8 year old girls) at an after-school community center last night and
came away once again rejuvenated about seeing children excited to do
something creative on a computer.  I say it was a "nearly tearful success"
simply because their computer lab was very small so the girls had to
triple-up on each computer and take turns and, well, not everyone got as
much as they would have liked which generated some sadness.

It was just the beginning of this particular workshop and we got no further
than the basics, but I can tell that the girls were already very excited
about using eToys and I look forward to our remaining sessions.

I don't believe the Squeak/eToys developers hear it often enough, so, again,
thanks for this remarkable piece of software.

--Randy