[Squeakland] Copying from one project to another?

Mark Engelberg mark.engelberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:30:02 PDT 2005

> BTW, pretty much every feature you have asked about so far are things we've
> put in the system to experiment with but are not generally used with children.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

I assure you that my questions are child-driven, although filtered
through my own programming experience.

Consider an example from this morning:

My son wants to know how to set up a series of "waypoints", and
program a car to drive (one step at a time) from one waypoint, to the
next, and so on.

I think about the problem, and as a programmer, I know that one
sensible way to program this is to put the waypoints in some sort of
list or array.  Then you could, for example, have a variable that
stores an index into the array, for the waypoint which is the car's
current destination.  The car's script says to advance toward the
current destination, and upon reaching the destination, to advance the
variable to the next waypoint in the list.  What does it do when
getting to the end of the list?  Well, you could experiment with
looping back to the beginning of the list, or traversing the list in
reverse order, or just stopping.

But then I realize that I have no idea whether etoys has any concept
of lists or arrays.  So I get on this list and say, "Hey guys, is
there any way to manipulate a list of objects in etoys?"  (Is there?)

So of course, my son isn't the one specifically asking whether it is
possible to make lists of objects.  He doesn't have the conceptual
framework to ask his question in that way.  But he has a problem he
wants to solve, and I'm trying to help solve it.

The more I know about etoys, and the full scope of what it is capable
of, the better I'll be able to answer my son's questions about, "How

I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far, and look forward to
learning more about this fascinating system.

Mark