[Squeakland] NetMorph; squeakland vs. squeak

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Thu Sep 1 03:27:42 PDT 2005

Hi,

Thank you for the interest in NetMorph project.

The reason I'm developing NetMorph in Squeak 3.8 is that 3.8 is a sort of
stable version. After releasing NetMorph for 3.8, I'll start NetMorph
for Squeakland 05. I think it is not so hard work, because Squeakland 05
is based on Squeak 3.8.

NetMorph for 3.8 will be released in a few weeks. For Squeakland 05,
one more week will be needed.

So, please wait patiently.
I would like to make NetMorph to be "classroom" quality.

Best regards,

> Hi Squeakers,
>
> As events from Squeakfest continue to bubble in my brain and outreach
> opportunities present themselves, I've been wondering lately about the
> NetMorph demo.  I think this sort of functionality, i.e., distributed
> objects in Squeak, would be great fun and could lead to some terrific
> educational projects.  So, my first question is - exactly how steep is the
> barrier to getting it working in the Squeakland version of Squeak (since it
> was pointed out that it required the "full" Squeak version).
>
> (Warning: probably leaving the intended range of topics for this list)
> This got me to wonder, more generally, about the differences in "full"
> Squeak (at squeak.org) vs. Squeakland Squeak and, for that matter, full
> Squeak vs. Tweak (or whatever it may eventually be called).  For starters,
> there's the question of the sizes (disk and memory) of these different
> animals.  A quick glance at the size of the image from Squeakland05 is ~17M.
> After downloading Squeak 3.8, I see its image is ~18M, but there's also a
> 14M "changes" file which, I'm assuming is required to run the image?
> Running the Squeakland05 app, I see it uses about 28M of memory.  The Squeak
> 3.8 app uses about the same.
>
> I guess buried in my ramblings is my concern for yet another open source
> software community to be split.  My desire to have the NetMorph
> functionality, but wanting to stay with the more kid-friendly Squeakland
> version of Squeak, is just one semi-frustrating example.
>
> --Randy

---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]