[Squeakland] I want to introduce squeakland to my Chinese friends

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 08:12:13 PDT 2006

Alan Kay wrote:

> Hi Jim --
>
> Squeak runs exactly the same on more than 25 platforms, including MS.

Hi Alan.

What I actually meant was MS apps. - Word, Excel, Powerpoint and I.E..
Most members of staff are scarcely aware that anything else exists, and
have so little understanding of computers that they can't even imagine a
need for anything else. I don't think this attitude is uncommon in U.K.
secondary schools and is largely due to schools needing to 'deliver the
curriculum', and pressure to perform well in published exam 'league
tables'. It probably also helps explain why the U.K. continues to slide
into seedy decline! If  Britain wasn't a 'nation of shopkeepers' in
Napoleon's day, then it certainly is now - factories being pulled down
and supermarkets being built in their places!

Jim Ford