[Squeakland] I want to introduce squeakland to my Chinese friends

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 23 19:49:35 PDT 2006

Hi Alan,

Perhaps part of the difficullty to introduce s-comp in schools lies right at
the computing industry doorstep - the prevalence of HTTP protocol,
HTML/JSP/otherSP manufacturing, seems to show the industry is stuck deeply in
"driver's ed" view and do not exactly show that the industry has the mental
capacity to invest in creating something better, so it seems hard to ask any
better of education. Maybe the "driver's ed-comp education" just follows what
"driver's ed-comp industry" is asking for...

However, as you said (if I understood correctly), the best path may be to take
a new cross-field approach "science and math by computation" that would not
threaten the established, and provide fun, experimental approach, and help
developing creativity, show building process rather than result, and hands on
deep understanding in all three.

I am not a teacher or educator, but I think in all this one has to remember
the importance of personal example and motivation some teachers provide
(although it must be very hard if teachers are to be judged only by immediate
results of their students following a predefined curriculum). My physics
teacher in grade 7 and 8 and math teacher in grade 9 provided me with more
motivation than any teacher after that, but it was not "measurable" that year
(although, looking back, to some degree it was). Thanks for your comments,

Milan