[Squeakland] Looking for good souls

Kim Rose kim.rose at squeakland.org
Mon Apr 24 14:58:22 PDT 2006

Jim,

I was actually just in London (for 2 days a week ago) and met with a
woman who is working on use of computers in schools (but most
recently in Scotland).  She is hoping to introduce Squeak Etoys to
the "Teachers TV" Commissioner in London (do you know about "Teachers
TV"?) and hoping to get interest in airing the "Squeakers" DVD via
"Teachers TV".  If this happens I am sure we could gather more
interest in the UK.

Here is one of the projects she's been a part of:
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/problemsolving/index.asp  and she
felt Squeak could be a great amplifier for this problem solving
curriclulum.

Following is part of another email I received a few months back (and
in the interest of privacy do not want to share the name w/out
permissioin):

".....I'm head of physics and electronics at the Hundred of Hoo
School in Rocester, Kent, England."

I am sure there are more UK teachers using Squeak Etoys --  the
problem is many of our users are quiet and do not participate in
these mailing lists and fora, so we have an incomplete picture of our
user community.

Perhaps this recent exchange will motivate others from the U.K. to
"pipe up" as you say.

We'd love to see you at SqueakFest in Chicago this summer!  Please join us!
http://interactive.colum.edu/partners/squeakfest/
cheers
Kim