[Squeakland] Looking for good souls

Kelly kellydaun at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 24 15:09:24 PDT 2006

Hi Jim,

I can't speak for any Schools but my University here in the UK has a keen
interest in Squeak.
My understanding is that they plan to work with Schools possibly doing
workshops to promote interest in computing primarily programming ( but don't
quote me on that).

I have just completed my Honours project based on Squeak. E-toys for the
classroom. Which was to develop a set of interactive lessons to introduce
children (late primary/early secondary) to the basic ideas of object
oriented programming. I also know of two other students who are doing
something similar for different age groups and I think one of them may even
be using Alice.

I think Squeak is a great educational tool and before taking on this project
I had never heard of it. So perhaps raising awareness would help. Or for
someone like ourselves to take the initiative to introduce squeak to Schools
and Universities. I have an interest in teaching and would most definitely
use Squeak again given the opportunity.

Regards

Kelly