[Squeakland] suggested 1 hour squeak exercise for various student age groups?

Kim Rose kim.rose at squeakland.org
Sat Feb 4 20:07:55 PST 2006

Hi, Daniel -

I suggest you use the "Powerful Ideas in the Classroom" book and
start the kids off with the "Drive-A-Car" Etoys would be ideal.

http://www.squeakland.org/sqmedia/books/kimbjbook.html

Give them a little while to get comfortable with the painting system
and then let them create a car and play with driving it around.
Then, they can make a steering wheel to navigate the car, and go on
to make a road and drive it along the road.  The older kids may get
to the point of creating a "robot car" that will drive along the road
on its own .  This is all in the book and our suggested starting
point. An hour is pretty short -- you might see if there's any way to
extend your time to at least 90 minutes.

Also, showing a portion of the Squeakers DVD (at the end, perhaps)
could be interesting for the kids to see what other kids have done
(i.e., "Jenny's Pig Race").

http://www.squeakland.org/sqmedia/movies/html/clips.html

Thanks for your interest -- let us know how it goes!
  -- Kim