[Squeakland] sun-earth-moon

Nicholas Bennett nicholasjbennett at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:59:29 PST 2006

randy,

I had done a sun earth moon system once and found that one could set the
rotation center fairly easily (I think one of the halo menu choices maybe,
also there I think you can tell it to display the rotation center and the
forward vector which can help visualize things).

I had used the embedding as described below, but found that if I simply
embedded earth in sun the earth would be 'unselectable' when it did not
overlap with the sun - which made it awkward if you wanted to go back and
add the moon later. I ended up painting the 'orbit center' of my 'orbiters'
as a small dot in the orbiters sketch - a bit strange maybe but it made it
very clear where the rotation center should be and ensured that the orbiters
stayed selectable when embedded.

regards,
nicholas