[Squeakland] pasting new morph

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Feb 20 23:24:14 PST 2006

Hi, Sholom,

Unfortunately, you can't use cut-and-paste to import external
graphics into Squeak.

To bring a picture into Squeak, you need to have it in a *file*, not
just on the clipboard.  So if you have a picture on the Clipboard and
you want to import it into Squeak, you'll first need to go through
the intermediate step (outside of Squeak) of creating a file to hold
the picture.

[On the Mac, for example, you could start up the Preview application,
choose "New from Clipboard" to import the picture into a Preview
document, then use "Save" to save the resulting document into a disk
file.]

There are several ways of importing a file-based graphic into Squeak,
of which perhaps the two easiest are:

(1)  In the Finder, use drag-and-drop to "drop" the file onto a
running Squeak; you'll see desired picture appear as a new
SketchMorph within the Squeak window.

(2)  Alternatively, from within Squeak, open the golden Navigator,
and hold the mouse down on the "Find" button until a menu appears.
Choose "find any file" from this menu.  In the ensuing blue
file-chooser, choose the desired file, and hit the "Open" button to
bring it into Squeak.

Cheers,

  -- Scott