[Squeakland] can I use button's textual editor?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Jan 11 15:05:25 PST 2006

At 2:32 PM -0500 1/11/06, Arvind Grover wrote:
>Some of my students are programming buttons, and want to use the
>textual code editor rather than dragging tiles. However, when they
>type something in, and toggle back to the tile view mode, the code
>they typed in disappears. Is it possible to type Smalltalk code
>directly in?

The trick here is that you need to make an explicit gesture to
"submit" your code after typing it in textually.  To do this, type
alt-s (or, on the Mac, type command-s or hit the Enter key).  [Think:
s stands for "save").

Once you've submitted textual code for a script, there's no going
back to tiles for that script without abandoning your textual
version.  If you try to toggle back to tiles, you'll be presented
with:

Caution -- this script was changed
textually; if you revert to tiles at this
point you will lose all the changes you
may have made textually.  Do you
really want to do this?

The tile vocabulary encompasses only a tiny fraction of the full
Smalltalk language and class library.  There are many things in
Smalltalk that cannot be represented in etoy tiles.

Cheers,

   -- Scott