[Squeakland] [Newbies] Squeak/eToys manual?

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Thu Jul 6 05:57:46 PDT 2006

Hi John,

> On 02/07/06, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>> Hi john
>>
>> tell us more where you are and what you want to achieve and we will
>> help you.
>
> Okay, here are a couple of things I'd like to do tomorrow:
>
> Our 'pets' currently have 1 variable, thirst, which increases once per
> second, and turns the animal 90 degrees when it reaches maximum. I can
> key the heading to the thirst divided by a factor, and/or use other
> geometric stuff to reflect variables, but I'd be interested in
> demonstrating different ways to show the affect of increasing thirst
> (and other variables - hunger, illness, happiness?): changing colour
> (going green), changing 'frame' to show another version of the
> creature (which I think uses 'holder' somehow, but haven't been able
> to figure out quite how).

Have a look at animations eg.
http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf

Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
color respectively let it look like the according color of the shape
at the index of that other holder.
(Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.

Meta hint: Post this kind of etoys questions _also_ to the squeakland
mailing list.

> We're doing an 'Arts Week' based on a woodland theme every afternoon
> this week, and my slot is tomorrow. I'd like to use Squeak to 'grow'
> forests and flowers from 'seeds', using different 'faces' onto the
> same object. How would I tackle that?

Guess the answer is: use the animations idiom again.

> How could I introduce a random
> element into the growth rate (shape?) so that all the trees look
> slightly different? Species too?

Don't understand exactly, but you can get a random tile by pressing
on the label of the object in any script.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Markus