[Squeakland] Can EToys Teach Me How to Program in Squeak?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Fri Jul 7 06:14:45 PDT 2006

Hi Greg --

Please tell me more about your aspirations. There are a number of styles of
programming, and there are a number of programming languages, each of which
addresses one or more styles.

Squeak Etoys is a style that we made up based on 35 years of experience
working with children. We have had very good results with 8-12 year olds
over the last 10 years, and this has accounted for its spread around the
world. If you did a few things in Etoys, you would be (a) programming, and
(b) get some of the feel of being able to make dynamic constructions via
programming (c) be learning a few things that would transfer to other
programming languages (the overlap is not large though).

I strongly suggest that you get the book "Powerful Ideas in the Classroom"
by B-J Allen-Conn and Kim Rose (available through the website or at
Amazon). This plus other materials on the website should help get you launched.

Squeak is an open source version of the Xerox PARC Smalltalk (from the late
70s) that we made as a general tool for constructing large scale designs.
It is very powerful, but the introductions are certainly more geeky than
you might like.

Cheers,

Alan