[Squeakland] Alan Kay's EuroPython Keynote

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Fri Jul 7 06:27:29 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I would like to use this chance to talk about some questions regarding
the OLPC project and Squeak. In my own short experience teaching, there
is nothing like Squeak for teaching programming (even for not so young
children like myself and my university students). Is fun, is connected
with the world, is media rich. It was pretty amazing for me to find that
Squeak would not be included in OLPC. I liked a lot python also and I
have had rewarding experiences using it as a first programming language,
but Squeak works better in a heterogeneous teaching environment. So here
come my questions:

 * ¿Why was not Squeak included in the OLPC project?

 * I have heard that in Argentina the laptops would work with Utoto, a
local distro there. So, if Fedora Distro is not a "must be" and Laptops
can be "located", ¿could we create a program to "enrich" OLPC original
offering with Squeak?

 * In my experience Squeak is in some way, too much self contained: it
has his own file manganer (no problem here) but has no drag & drop from
graphical file managers in Unix (not even for the ones which support XDD
XDesktop standard), no "bindings" with other languages (one of the
success of python is the possibility to use easily C++ or Java code with
Python), etc. ¿Would be possible to have some kind of Spytalk (or
Pytalk) that makes for the relation Squeak-Python what Jython makes for
the Java-Python relationship?, would be nice to have the possibility to
write python inside squeak, or to extend/mix Smalltalk code with python
one, for example in etoys. Making a bridge between Squeak and Python, we
could to take advantage of the python mind share, without loosing the
Squeak power ¿Is this much difficult? (may be the answer is "yes" :-/ ).

Cheers,

Offray