[Squeakland] Animation, Onion-Skinning and Antialiased Graphics

Greg Smith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 7 12:35:15 PDT 2006

I just discovered EToys the other day and am thoroughly fascinated by
its potential to possibly teach an old graphics guy, like me, how to
program and express myself graphically/interactively/experimentally.
I'm hoping the EToys environment will allow me to do this.

In messing around inside the EToys environment I could not readily
see any evidence of antialiasing being present on the results of any
of the painting tools.  I also discovered there didn't seem to be any
support for the .png format with alpha channel for use as "sprites"
for lack of a better term.  From an animator's viewpoint,
professional quality computer graphics require them to be antialiased
and clean, so, whether they are created internally, within EToys, or
externally and imported, they need to act like a .png file or
sequence of images that are masked against the other objects in the
scene, (alpha channel).  So, I'm stuck, graphically speaking.

Also, if really good animations are to be produced within the EToys
environment, it will be necessary to have an untouchable set of
layers that represent, at least, previous drawings in the animation,
(onion skin).  I couldn't readily discover any such functionality.
Is it possible within EToys?

Thanks,

Greg Smith