[Squeakland] Computer Language Definitions and Intelligibility

Greg Smith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 7 13:28:53 PDT 2006

I just started reading Alan Kay's forward to the book,

SQUEAK:
OBJECT-ORIENTED
DESIGN WITH
MULTIMEDIA
APPLICATIONS

and came across the phrase, "extreme late binding".

This presented the same problem I always seem to encounter when
trying to learn any technical subject, from scratch.  Having no prior
background in the subject under discussion, I have no familiarity
with the insider lingo that inevitably exists in each and every text
on the written on the subject.

At this point, encountering a phrase which, to me, is unintelligible,
I have two options  -  close the article or do some research to find
the full meaning of the phrase.  I did so, using Google, and found
quite a few articles that use and refer to this phrase, but each and
every one that I looked at, though using the phrase, never defined
the phrase in plain English for the benefit of  the understanding of
the uninitiated.

This just strengthens my view that if endeavors like computer
programming are ever to pass out of the hands of the priesthood and
into the hands of the layman, then something's got to be done about
the methods used to transfer this knowledge.

I still haven't got an inkling about the concept of "extreme late
binding", though I wish I did.

Greg Smith