[Squeakland] Computer Language Definitions and Intelligibility

John Kershaw john at kershaw.org
Mon Jul 10 01:17:42 PDT 2006

Greg,

Don't worry about it. Binding asks "How soon do I have to decide what kind
of 'thing' this variable represents?" which is important in some computer
languages, but not in Squeak. Everything in Squeak is an object, whether (to
you) it represents a number, a window or a wiggling worm 'sprite'. It's
always just an object, so you can happily change it's perceived type
whenever you like and Squeak won't mind.

If you tried the same thing in most other languages you'd get an error - if
you created a variable as type 'integer' then tried to give it the value '
7.3' your program would fail. Squeak wouldn't care :)

John.