[Squeakland] Making Cultural simulations on Kedama

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Thu Jul 27 19:53:09 PDT 2006

Hi all,

First, thanks for the SqueakFest2006. It was really awesome to be here,
to know all that squeakers, to listen them, and to speak with them (a
little).  If love is the key to make visitors become residents, thanks
for such warm act of love in such nice city :)

I'm now getting back to my academical activities and I'm wondering,
after the speak of Yoshiki,  if Kedama can be used to make cultural
simulations also (may be you remember that I'm interested in the
"Cultural Thing" of cognition also). I'm thinking to start with a
specific simulations showed in the book The Complexity of Cooperation
from Robert Axelrod. It's about culture dissemination.

Axelrod model different cultures as part of a grid (that where the idea
of using Kedama come from). Every culture is a cell in that grid and
every culture has a number of traits (for example 5) wich can have
different values (lets say 10). What Axelrod says is that when two
agents (cultures) are similar one to each other (it' means they share
the same value in the same trait) they have more possibilities to
interact and become even more similar.

The algorithm is something like this:

Repeat these two steps as much as wanted:

1) Select randomly a culture in the grid and select randomly a neighbor
of that culture (in such grid neighbors can be on north, south, west or
est).
2) This two cultures interact with a probability equal to their cultural
similarity (that is, the number of similar values in the same trait of
these two cultures). That interaction consist in selecting a trait where
this two cultures are different and change the value of that trait for
the value of the neighbor.

The process define a set of culture regions. You can find the source
code of the implementation of Axelrod's algorithm in:

http://www.cscs.umich.edu/Software/CC/CC7/CULTURE.P.html (<- Pascal version)
http://www.cscs.umich.edu/Software/CC/CC7/FullCulture.p.html (<- Full
Pascal version)
http://www.cscs.umich.edu/Software/CC/CC7/CULTURE.BAS.html (<- Visual
Basic version)

¿Do you think is feasible to implement the same model in Kedama? If yes,
¿Where is the best way to start implementing it?

Thanks a lot,

Offray

Ps: I will be probably on Wikimania next weekend (I have the scholarship
acceptance and now I'm trying to get the proper permissions in the
University). So may be we can see there :).

AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o el consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este mensaje es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no puede ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o divulgacion con cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor destruya su contenido y avise a su remitente.
En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.

Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su contenido esta libre de virus.
This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is free of viruses.