[Squeakland] graduated fill

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Mar 3 10:27:15 PST 2006

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:44:49 -0500 "Sholom Eisenstat" <sholom.eisenstat at tel.tdsb.on.ca> wrote:
>With some experimenting in class, we've determined that a morph created with the draw tools does not have the same set of color/border tiles that a morth grabbed from the supplies tab has. The latter's tiles enable the fill stuff whereas the former's don't.
>
>So, that appears to be the end of that thread though I don't understand why the difference is programmed in as such.

Sholom,

Simplicity is probably as good a reason as any - simplicity of implementation and simplicity of understanding. Things you get from the supplies bin, like rectangles and ellipses, have a rather obvious border and color, both of which can easily be changed and the user understands what will happen. When you create something with the draw tools, this is much less clear. If you drew something complex, with multiple colors, possibly disjoint regions, and convex/concave edges, where/how would a border be drawn? Would a fill replace the entire rectangle enclosing the drawing, or only parts that had been "drawn", or only one/some colors? It's possible that what you want could be achieved by embedding the sketch in a rectangle and then filling/bordering the rectangle.

Cheers,
Bob